In 1920 Adolf “Adi” Dassler and Rudolf Dassler made the first Adidas Superstar trainers on their kitchen table at home. The company got its name from its German shoemaker founder, the great Adi Dassler .
- These Superstar trainers appeared in the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam, Holland and in 1956 at the Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia.
- The Adidas Superstar brand was the first sport sponsorship. These shoes are manufactured with functionality and foot design in mind, as well as the demands and requirements of the sport for perfect comfort and performance every time.
- The Adidas Superstar is a basketball shoe that has been manufactured by the Adidas Company since 1969. It is a ‘low top” basketball shoe also known as “Pro Model.” The nickname for this shoe due to the rubber toe is “shell toe.” Furthermore the Adidas Superstar design has become the key component within the sneaker tradition.
- The Adidas Superstar shell toe trainer in all black, black and white, black and grey, black and gold to name a few, was first introduced in 1969 as the first basketball all-leather-upper shoe with the famous shell toe and sole in rubber. This court shoe was the “test shoe” which by 1970 was released to the public. It was the first low-top shoe for use in basketball with the now famous all leather-upper shell toe and rubber sole.
- Adidas introduced the new three stripe Adidas logo in 1996 and at some point the Adidas Superstar trainers were hard to find; even professional basketball stars had a hard time getting a hold of them and ordering them.
- Adidas Superstar Trainers became so renowned that at the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, 80% of all the athletes present were wearing these famous Adidas 3 stripes Superstar Trainers. By 1961 the Adidas brand had gotten into making footballs and clothing.
It was in 1972 when Adidas introduced the “Trefoil” logo representing the coming together of the spirit of the Olympics and it was in that same year that the German football team in Europe, who were wearing the Adidas Superstar boots style, won the European Championships.
Today the signature Adidas Superstar has become a “Classic” world re-known high performance athletic shoe for men, women and children and comes for basketball, golf, tennis, lacrosse and soccer. Adidas is also the custom designer athletic shoe for the brands “Muhammad Ali”, “Porsche” and “Stella McCartney”.