An ode to Oats is a compelling saga of transition of my family to healthy eating. It took many a persuasive attempts to win over their confidence and change that ‘No! Not again’ to getting hooked to the mighty oats.
Paeans of Oats: The silence on the dinning table was the answer to my constant requests for trying oats. Clippings on article on oats were pasted on the areas of maximum visibility. Digging the supermarkets for the latest in oats and baking the yummy treats of oats paid the rich dividends.
- Oat is rich in beta-glucan – a soluble fiber that help in lowering cholesterol. It absorbs LDL’s(bad) cholesterol and let HDL’s (good) cholesterol stay away for longer timein the digestive system.
- Low Glycemic Index makes it longer to get digested and absorbed slowly in the blood stream, keeping the blood sugar levels stable.
- GABA (Gama Amino Butyric Acid) an amino acid found in oats prevents anxiety.
- The vitamin B in it releases Dopamine into the brain vitalizing the nervous system.
- Oatmeal has high concentration of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese and thiamine.
- It is power packed with photochemical to help fight diseases.
- Oat contains flavanoids an antidote for cancer and heart disease.
- Help reduce obesity and hunger pangs. Low GI makes it digest slowly thus giving a feeling of fullness for a longer period.
- The fibers in this wholegrain make the stool bulky and ease excretion.
- Reduce cholesterol by absorbing the LDL’s from the blood stream.
- Low GI makes it a sensible choice for people suffering from diabetes.
- Oats is a highly recommended heart-healthy food, due to the presence of soluble fiber-beta-glucan.
Prudent diet changes;
- Add oats flour to the wheat flour to make bread or chapattis.
- Try mixing the oats or the oats flour in the idly batter for a healthy change.
- Make snacks such as khakra, poha and muthias.
- Oatmeal porridge and kanji is a healthy way to start your day.
Make this heart-healthy and blood-sugar stabilizer your confidante!
Stay fit singing Ode to Oats…