The beneficial effects of various Ayurvedic herbs on our heart has been clinically revalidated through research. many recent studies have shown that regular consumption of following herbs may help in maintaining a healthy heart.
1. Fenugreek: Israeli scientists at Hebrew University of Jerusalem have shown that fenugreek seeds can lower bad cholesterol (LDL) in both healthy individuals as well as diabetics, thus significantly lowering the risk of atherosclerosis which causes coronary artery disease. Fenugreek seeds contain a soluble fibre known as galactomannan which binds up bile acids and lowers cholesterol in the same way as common cholesterol lowering drugs do.
2.Garlic: Recent German research has shown that garlic compounds definitely speed up blood clot dissolving activity and improve blood fluidity, thus controlling blood pressure and significantly lowering risk of heart attack. Regular consumption of garlic also helps in lowering bad cholesterol.
3. Ginger: Recent researches have established that gingerol, an active constituent of ginger, chemically resembles aspirin, which has been traditionally used as blood thinner to prevent heart attacks and stroke.
4. Guggulu: In animal studies, guggulu has been shown to prevent the formation of artery blocking plaque, thus preventing atherosclerosis. Guggulu helps in protecting LDL from oxidation by free radicals. LDL is most harmful when it is damaged by free radicals and can lead to coronary artery disease. Guggulu is a potent hypolipidaemic agent which significantly lowers serum cholesterol, total lipids and triglyceride, thus lowering the risk of heart disease.
5. Turmeric: Studies conducted on turmeric have shown that including as little as one gram of this herb in our daily diet significantly reduces the triglyceride and total cholesterol levels over a period of three to six months.
6. Onion: Recent studies have shown that daily consumption of onions can significantly boost the levels of HDL (good cholesterol) in our blood.
7. Yashtimadhu (Licorice): Researchers have found that consumption of about 100 mg of yashtimadhu root powder daily may help in preventing heart disease, since it helps in keeping arteries clear and minimises damage from LDL (bad cholesterol.
8. Arjuna: Arjuna is perhaps the best known Ayurvedic herb used in treatment of heart disorders, especially ischemic heart diseases. It possesses significant cardio-protective properties and recent studies have confirmed the same. Arjuna has been shown to strengthen the muscles of our heart and to promote healthy blood circulation.