For those who like their beer and pepper steak with a little more heat add a teaspoon of paprika or finely sliced red chilli pepper to the marinade.
Beer and Pepper Steak Ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoon of Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 Sirloin (New York) Steaks
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- ½ Cup of Beef Stock
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Small Brown Onion
- 1 Cup of Stout or Your Favourite Dark Beer
- Sea Salt (to season)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to season)
- French Fries or Steakhouse Cut Potato Chips (to serve)
- Green Salad (to serve)
- Crusty Dinner Rolls (to serve)
- Peel and crush the garlic and peel and finely chop the onion.
- Select one of the beef sirloin steaks, sprinkle the cracked black pepper over it and using your fingers press the pepper into the meat. Turn the steak over, sprinkle some cracked black pepper over this side, once again pressing the pepper into the meat with your fingers. Place the steak into a shallow dish. Repeat with the remaining steaks, placing each in turn into the shallow dish once it has been peppered. Arrange steaks into a single layer in the dish.
- Into a mixing bowl add the crushed garlic, the finely chopped onion and the beer and mix well to combine. Pour the marinade over the peppered steaks, cover with plastic cling wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the marinated beef sirloin steaks from the refrigerator 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Spray a heavy-based frying pan with olive oil cooking spray and heat over a medium-high heat.
- Drain the steaks, reserving the marinade and pat the steaks dry.
- Cook the marinated beef sirloin steaks, 2 at a time, for 4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking, then transfer them to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Repeat with the remaining marinated beef sirloin steaks.
- Pour the reserved marinade into frying pan, add the beef stock and bring to the boil. Continue cooking the sauce, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to desired thickness. Serve when ready.
Serve sauce over steaks with fries and salad.