This is a powerful diuretic [water pill]that is used to eliminate excess water and salt [composed of sodium and chloride]through urine, and is widely used to treat edema and congestive heart failure. Salt, water and other small molecules are filtered through the blood, into the tubules of the kidney, turning into urine. However, most of these contents get reabsorbed into the bloodstream, before turning into urine. Generic Furosemide blocks this re-absorption, ridding the body of waste
The medicine can be taken orally or injected. If taken by mouth, it may take an hour to take full effect. When it is injected, it takes only 5 minutes before results begin to show. The duration normally lasts 6 hours.
Uses of Cheap Lasix
This water pill is useful in treating fluid retention or edema in those who suffer from nephrotic syndrome, cirrhosis of the liver, heart disease [congestive heart failure], hypertension, cerebral or pulmonary edema, problems with their lymph nodes, and in severe hypercalcemia.
When fluid collects in the lungs, it can cause the condition of congestive heart failure, a severe heart attack, arrhythmias, pericardial effusion, or extreme hypertension. In conditions of chronic bronchitis or emphysema, the heart vessels connecting the heart and the lungs are under pressure to pump the required amount of blood, and this can lead to swelling in the feet and legs. Cerebral edema can be equally dangerous, when there is excess accumulation of water in the intracellular or extracellular spaces of the brain.
In pregnancy, some women may be prone to have swelling in their legs, when the tiny valves in the veins of the legs become weak and incapable of transporting blood easily from the legs to the heart. Standing, or sitting for long hours continuously, can also cause swelling to take place; as can exposure to the sun. Myeloma, if untreated, can cause the bones to break, thereby releasing calcium in the blood that causes hypercalcemia which, in turn, can lead to a condition of acute or chronic renal failure.
Hypertension, in chronic cases, can seriously damage various organs – enlarge the heart, harden the arteries, cause changes in the retina, lead to a stroke, brain damage, or kidney failure. Diabetes as well as Hepatitis B can adversely affect the kidneys, and lead to secondary hypertension. If the adrenal glands get affected, it may lead to hypertension; while, a rare genetic disorder in children – coarctation of the aorta, can lead to hypertension in them.
Whenever edema [water retention]occurs, it manifests itself in swelling, and has to be urgently treated. Buy Cheap Lasix comes to the aid of all such people. While it cannot cure hypertension, it helps to control it.
For patients suffering from hepatic cirrhosis, ascites, or hypertension, it is recommended that the diuresis be performed in a hospital set-up, so that such patients can be monitored and if extreme dehydration takes place during the process, treatment can be immediately instituted.
The medicine is available in tablet formulations of 20mg, 40mg and 80mg. It can be taken once or twice a day, as prescribed by the doctor. The dose is prescribed after considering individual conditions. For children, it is calculated according to the weight also.
In case you are taking the medicine twice a day and forget a dose, try to take the missed dose only if 12 hours are left for the next dose. Overdose of Furosemide 40mg can lead to excess depletion of water and salt from your body, and cause dehydration. Never increase the dose or stop it on your own. The medicine provides quick relief, but has to be taken for the entire course for you to get full benefit of the treatment.
If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call the US national poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222.
The most common side effect of this medicine would be dehydration. Consult your doctor about the amount of fluid intake to avoid getting dehydrated. Other common side effects can include:-
- Diarrhea, or conversely Constipation.
If you have an allergic reaction such as: a rash, hives, labored breathing, or a swelling in the face-lips-tongue-throat, stop using this medicine and immediately call your doctor.
You should stop taking this drug and contact your doctor immediately if any symptoms persist or become worse, or any other unusual symptoms occur, while you are taking Furosemide:-
- Severe stomach or abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Dark stools
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Muscular cramps
- Hearing problem
- Blurred vision
There are many medicines that interact with this medication and if given alongside, require to be medically monitored. Some of these are:-
- Cholesterol reducing medications, such as Cholestyramine or Colestipol.
- Gastrointestinal medicines like Sucralfate.
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics that can affect hearing and/or balance such as Gentamycin or Tobramycin.
- Stress hormones like Norepinephrine.
- Anti-cancer medicines like Cisplatin.
- Corticosteroids like Prednisone.
- Antifungals like Amphotericin B.
- Hypertension medication like Aliskerin.
- Muscle relaxants like Tubocurarine.
- Digoxin [medication for heart failure].
- NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen or Indomethacin.
- Aspirin or aspirin-like drugs such as Salicylates.
Store this medicine at a room temperature of 15oC-30oC, protecting it from heat, light and moisture, and keeping it away from children and pets.
It is contraindicated in patients who are allergic to Furosemide. Other drugs that cannot be taken alongside are:-
- Ethacrynic acid
- Other antihypertensive drugs.
- Let your doctor know about your medical history, particularly if you’ve ever suffered from any disease of the kidney, liver, untreated mineral imbalance, gout, lupus, and especially anuria [inability to make urine]. Also inform the doctor about all medicines [prescription and OTC], as well as herbal products and nutritional supplements that you are having.
- Before going for surgery, inform the dentist or surgeon that you are taking this medicine.
- Furosemide can affect blood sugar levels, so if you have diabetes, get your blood sugar levels checked regularly; your doctor may want to adjust your anti-diabetic medication, and/or diet.
- Buy Lasix 40mg can also reduce potassium levels in the blood, for which you could ask the doctor to prescribe a potassium supplement.
- If you are pregnant, inform the doctor – this drug is prescribed only when clearly needed by pregnant women. As there is likelihood of the medicine to pass through breast milk, nursing mothers should check with their doctor before breastfeeding.
- Avoid exposure to the sun, as this medicine can make you more sensitive to heat and light. Wear protective clothing when outdoors.
- Limit alcoholic beverages, as this medicine can cause drowsiness.
- While driving or using machinery, be very alert as this medicine can make you feel drowsy or sleepy.
- Caution is advised for elderly people, who may be more sensitive to this medicine, because it causes dizziness.
- Hypersensitive patients in particular should get up slowly from a seated or lying position to avoid the feeling of lightheadedness and dizziness.
Disclaimer: The contents given on this page are indicative of the symptoms and reactions of the medicine/diseases listed above; they are not conclusive. Information given on this page is not a substitute for the advice/treatment given by a physician or pediatrician. In the event you, or any member in your family, happen to suffer from any of the above illnesses, please consult a doctor at once.