We generally serve this fast Spanish chicken accompanied with vermicelli or, the rice look-alike, risoni pasta. Try serving this easy to prepare, budget-friendly fast Spanish chicken dish on a bed of steamed or boiled rice and stir-fried vegetables or mashed potatoes with a selection of boiled mixed vegetables.
Fast Spanish Chicken Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 6 Chicken Thigh Fillets (about 660g)
- 2 Small Red Onions
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 400g Jar of Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- 100g of Artichoke Hearts
- ½ Cup of Pitted Kalamata Olives
- ¼ Cup of cold Water
- Sea Salt (to season)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to season)
- Risoni Pasta or Steamed Rice (to serve)
- Trim and cut the chicken thigh fillets into halves, peel and cut the onions into thin wedges, drain and quarter the artichoke hearts and peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the chicken thigh halves and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden then, using a slotted spoon, transfer the browned chicken to a plate, cover and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and heat. Once the oil is up to temperature and the red onion wedges and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the onion wedges have softened.
- Return the browned chicken, along with any juices, to the pan, add the crushed garlic, the tomato and basil pasta sauce, the quartered artichoke hearts, the pitted olives and ¼ cup of cold water, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir well and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cook pasta or rice as per the packet instructions. Serve when ready.
- Serves 4
- Serve your fast Spanish chicken on a bed of pasta or rice, some fresh basil, a dollop of sour cream (optional) and a side serving of French fries and enjoy.
- Store this fast Spanish chicken in an airtight container. Heat in microwave oven or saucepan and you have a ready-made meal for a lazy week night.