If you’re after a flat screen TV buying guide, but you’re not keen on wading through pages of complicated information, then you’re in luck. In this concise guide, we’re going to jump straight to the point and highlight the important key areas you need to consider. First we’re going to take a look at the main kinds of TV on the market, then look at the major brands out there, after which we’ll check out the key features you might want to look for.
The Main Kinds of Television
Now, I assume you’ve already decided on the kind of size Television you need, so here we can look at more important things. When it comes to the display technology available, you will find basically three main styles of TV display: LCD, LED, and Plasma.
– Thin, lightweight.
– Come in a range of sizes.
– Ideal for bright rooms.
– More brands and sizes to choose from than Plasma.
– Have a tendency to cost more than Plasma TVs of similar size, however this is now becoming less so as time goes on.
– A form of LCD display, but with different lighting.
– Uses LED to light the LCD particles, versus Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps, which were used in older LCD televisions.
– Better energy efficiency.
– Durable – doesn’t degrade like older style LCDs.
– Good for large televisions (42 inch or larger).
– Are easily viewed from more or less any angle.
– Brilliant for high-speed action, such as games, sports or action videos.
Which Brand Name Do I Pick?
– Innovator and market leader.
– LED pioneer.
– Popular brand – probably the best, if you had to name just one top make. Certainly the best-selling in the UK, anyway.
– Very good image quality.
– Another well-liked make.
– Makes a variety of plasma TVs, but in addition makes LCD and LED.
– Makes some high-end HDTVs named Infinia.
– Top company for Plasma TVs.
– Makes LCD TVs as well.
– Produces some very large TVs.
– Among the first to offer 3D.
– Makes a wide range of high definition televisions, from value to fully featured HDTVs called the Cinema Series.
– Plan to start manufacturing 3D sets in the near future.
– Newer brand (began in 2002).
– Creates LCD high definition televisions.
– Brand names itself as “The USAs number 1 LCD TV company”
What Are the Main Features to Look For from a TV?
There are many different features that TVs have these days, but listed below are some of the key things to look out for.
Screen Refresh Rate (Frame Rate)
– For LCD, get the new 120Hz or 240Hz screens.
– Plasma has extremely rapid transition between frames, so copes better with quick digital action.
– PC input – some TVs have PC input, so you’re able to surf the internet on your TV.
– Internet@TV – some Samsung TVs have a function called Internet@TV, which gives access to the net when you watch Television.
– Some other new TVs also allow internet access to services e.g. YouTube, Netflick, Facebook, etc.
– Wi-Fi – log on to your own network.
– HDMI – High Definition Multimedia Interface.
– PC input – as mentioned above.
Specific Modes & Easy Settings
– Game Mode – some TVs (e.g. Samsung) come with a specific mode for game playing, which optimizes the sound and image specifically for this use.
– Picture Wizard – this is a simple step-by-step wizard that comes with LG TVs and enables you to easily adjust your picture settings.
– Some TVs can even detect the lighting of the room and automatically optimize your screen settings.
The Decision is Yours
So, as you can see, there are various different factors which can determine which type of Television you are going to buy. After you have decided on the size of the screen you then need to decide on the screen type, whether it’s Plasma or LCD. After you have decided on that, it’s best to take a look at the brand that is the leader in that specific technology. For instance, if you’d like an LED style LCD Television, then Samsung is probably your best bet. However, if you decided on Plasma, then LG is a good choice. Once you have made that decision, it’s really merely a case of keeping an eye out for the features you want, and then reading reviews from existing customers, to see whether it’s a good model to buy.