Stress can have a devastating effect on an individual if not managed properly. A lot of health disasters are as a result of stress. The shocking aspect of this whole issue is that it’s not restricted to the older generation, even youths are dying daily as a result of stress.
Stress can manifest in any area of man’s life, be it mental, social, or physical. These may include exhaustion, loss of or increased appetite, headaches, crying, sleeplessness, and oversleeping. Escape through alcohol, drugs, or other compulsive behavior are often indications. Feelings of alarm, frustration, or apathy may accompany stress. Your ability to maintain calmness under excessive demand placed on you by circumstances, people, work or family is what is referred to as stress management.
The following are some of the steps you can undertake to prevent collapsing under stress;
· Determine the cause of the stress and see if there is anything you can change about it. If you can’t, then talk yourself into the reality of the situation and determine not to fret over the issue. Remember, there is no point worrying over what you can’t change; if you can’t live without a circumstance then learn to live with it. No point dying before death kills you.
· Don’t overwhelm yourself with your workload. Give yourself a break. It is only the living that can work. Do your work at your own pace, I don’t mean you should be lazy but don’t overwork yourself.
· Avoid stressful situation. Give yourself a break and enjoy life. Don’t be too serious about life.
· Decide the best way to relax yourself. Try to clear your mind of all disturbing thoughts; don’t dwell on things that will not add value to your life. Meditate and practice breathing exercises.
· Change the way you react to situations and avoid extreme reactions. Watch your temper. Follow this saying; why hate when a little dislike will do? Why generate anxiety when you can be nervous? Why rage when anger will do the job? Why be depressed when you can just be sad?
· Get enough sleep. Lack of sleep worsens stress condition
· Be involved in other people’s lives. Don’t be self-centered. When you focus on helping others, you will definitely have less focus on your problems
· Work off stress with physical activities. Exercise yourself.
· Avoid the escape route;alcohol and drugs can mask stress. They don’t help deal with the problems
· Be positive about your life. Look at everything good in your life and appreciate them. Stop focusing on the bad. Enjoy your life while it lasts and make positive impact in your environment
And finally, if you are still experiencing stress after following these steps, try to seek counseling.