New research shows the nutrients you need to stay healthy may regulate hunger. Experts recommended getting them through food first, but because many women fall short, consider these supplements for extra insurance.
First choice: Vitamin D
- People who have HIGH vitamin D levels at the start of a diet lose more weight, suggests research presented at the endocrine society of annual meeting.
- Recommended intake: Get 8.00 -1,000 IU through fatty fish and fortified food products, or a D3 supplement under supervision.
- Health Bonus: Vitamin D fights cancer and helps your body absorb bone binding calcium.
Second choice: Prebiotics
- Overweight adults who took a Prebiotics supplement lost an average of 1kilo over 6 weeks, compared with those on a placebo.
- Recommended intake: includes foods such as Garlic, onions, artichokes, bananas, raw foods or supplements under supervision.
- Health Bonus: Prebiotics stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria in the guts to regulate digestion.
Third choice: Calcium
- When women deficient in calcium took 1,200 mg of calcium daily for 15 weeks, they lost 4 times as much weight as those who took the placebo.
- Recommended intake: Get 1000-1200 mg daily from low fat dairy and leafy green vegetables or supplement under supervision.
- Calcium builds and maintains strong bones to prevent injury and osteoporosis.